May 5, 2013

Le Day Dream...

I've been doing photography now for a while (since the 90s). But only in the past few years, have I started to take it somewhat seriously and think of it as more than just a hobby.

With the health issues I've discovered as life goes on and as I accept the fact that I may not be able to work for a living anymore; I've been thinking more and more  about developing my photography skills to the point where I can start a business and make some kind of financial contribution to my family. Instead of feeling like a burden and useless.

I have a long way to go. But, it is a journey that I feel I can make with some hard work and a little good fortune.

However, as I travel down the path on my way to improving my photography skills enough that I might be able to bring in an income with it, I am realizing that it is a very expensive prospect.

For the time being, I am trying to make the equipment I have do the job. But, there are a few pieces of gear that would definitely help me in my pursuit to be a better photographer.

Granted, at this point there is no way I can afford any of these things. But, here it is: my "wishlist".

First and most unlikely... is a better camera. The camera I am currently using is acceptable. But, it is limiting in some ways. One with a full frame censor for optimal low light and high ISO performance would be my first milestone: In particular, the Canon EOS 5D Mark III.

The Canon 5D Mark III (body only)
 Second, but no more likely, the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II IS USM lens. This lens can be used with my current camera as well. It would be used for the majority of things, including portraits and some event shooting.

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II IS USM Lens
 Next, the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM telephoto Zoom lens. This is an ideal lens for shooting sports and action. I'd put it to good use for sure.

Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM Lense

A macro lens for close up, wildlife, nature and other items would help too. After doing considerable research, I think the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L would be the best choice.

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM

Some additional lighting would certainly be an asset. And a speed-lite or two for outside/on location shooting  and maybe a ring-light or other flash designed for macro work would definitely help as well. And a light/flash meter, although not necessary, would definately make photography easier.

There are a few other accessories that would help as well. But those are minor in comparison with the things I listed above.

The above camera, lenses, and equipment are all top notch gear. As I said before, this is a wish list. It's unlikely that I'll ever have any of this stuff. But if I become a successful photographer and start making money with a business... These items are at the top of my shopping list.

Well, its like they say: "You have to spend money to make money". At least I have a path to follow. I'm sure it won't be easy. But, life is hard at the best of times...

Okay, time to wake from my fantasy now...

--- Mark ---